Attending the Spirit of the Arctic Tourism Summit
WRITTEN BY ALLISON SILVAGGIO
Attending the Spirit of the Arctic Tourism Summit in Nunavut’s capital of Iqaluit helped expand my knowledge on travelling to the North.
I have been lucky enough to visit 3 of the Arctic communities, including Pond Inlet, Cambridge Bay and Naujaat (which is located on the Arctic Circle).
Some of the highlights during our visit included:
- Meeting with the local outfitters from several communities to learn more about touring available.
- Trying some of the local cuisine, such as caribou stew and Arctic char. *I recommend a visit to the Black Heart Café for a Turmeric Latte!
- Attending the annual spring Toonik Tyme Festival to enjoy Skijoring, a winter sport in which a person on skis is pulled by a dog (or sometimes a dog is pulled by the skier).
- Purchasing a carving from one of the local artists, and enjoying an amazing throat singing performance.
- And taking part in Traditional Inuit Games, trying exercises such as the airplane and the kneel jump.
Realizing my love for the North, the culture and vastness of the land, I am always excited to return. Contact us to help you plan your own adventure.